Doula Training Course Content
Please scroll down the page for Course content list and advanced training details.
Our Five day Doula Training Courses offer:
- An informal, relaxed but rich learning environment, which is emotionally safe, fun and confidential.
- Affordable Residential and Non-Residential options; by the sea in Cornwall, in the brilliant Laines of Brighton (Non-Residential) in a leafy North London venue, on the stunning island of Ibiza or near the Tor, in magical Glastonbury, Somerset.
- A fully comprehensive folder to keep, with information on many aspects of Birth and Doulaing, references, thought provoking articles and much more.
- Personal tuition and time to address any issues raised, with a one-to-one meeting, upon request.
- The opportunity to join Doula UK.
POSTNATAL NURTURE SESSION
Please scroll down to access Curriculum...
Conscious Birthing Doula Training Courses are based on the foundations of many years of learning and experience within the field, allowing us to share what we have learnt and continue to learn, along the path of this truly unique vocation.
We discuss a myriad of potential birth experiences, from home or birthing centre to hospital, from water and natural birth, to the more medicalised procedures which can arise during birth, and their potential outcomes.
Exploring our role as Doula is the central focus, through self-enquiry around our own inherent influences which shape our intentions to work in this field.
We spend time sharing tips and experiences of working with Pregnant and Postnatal women and their families, looking at some of the issues and topics which can be raised during this precious time.
MASSAGE SESSION 2011
The Curriculum includes:
- Why train as a Doula?
- Reflecting and debriefing of our own Birth stories and exploring our inherent attitudes around Pregnancy, Birth and Motherhood.
- The role of Doula in a historical light and modern day context.
- What it means to be ‘on call’ and how to prepare, in practical, physical and emotional ways.
- Boundary setting within your Doula Practice.
- Counselling and listening skills; how to ‘read’ non-verbal ques and approach vulnerable subjects.
- An In-depth session on the Stages of Labour including the physiology of birth and the interplay of Hormones within the labouring and birthing process.
- Working with your local healthcare team.
- Birth ‘Plans’: tool of focus or potential for disappointment?
- Pain relief used at home and in hospital.
- Alternative pain relieving methods from cultures and traditions around the world.
- When things don’t go according to ‘plan’.
- Birth preparation methods.
- Birth companionship and how to help; including Active birth positions, Acupressure techniques, massage for labour and birth, use of herbs and homeopathy and breathing ‘techniques’.
- Birth companionship and the Art of Doing Nothing.
- Where do I begin? Ideas for those first Prenatal / Postnatal sessions.
- Postnatal Doulaing…what might we offer? Empowering new parents, rather than ‘teaching’, signposting, feeding support.
- Self nurturing and co-support for us!
- Networking and working with backups.
- How to set up your practice, set fees and attract clients.
- Full, ongoing support.